Sunday, May 3, 2009

Like.

So I know I have already blogged once tonight, but I just thought of something really cool.

I often wonder why we have free will.  I mess up so badly, and I know it pains God, and others too.  I know I am forgiven, but still.  I know God doesn't want robots, but I never quite saw what the good in is it for us.  What is the silver lining of living in the fallen world?  

It just sort of dawned on me as I was stretching before crawling into bed: If we never messed up terribly, we wouldn't fully comprehend our need for forgiveness.  And if we couldn't comprehend our need for forgiveness, then we couldn't even get a glimpse of how much God loves us.  We will never understand fully how much he loves us, but at least our knowledge of how vital forgiveness is in our own lives gives us an inkling of God's love.  And since we know that this tremendous love we are experiencing is only a tiny fraction of the love he has for us, it gives us an example of the love we should have for others, even those who have wronged us, hurt us, and disappointed us.  Often times we say that we don't have to like everyone, but we have to love them.  Well, I am struggling with that now.  We don't have to like their actions, God doesn't always like ours, but he does always not only love us, but he likes us.  He wants to be friends with us.  It is impossible for us to really like everyone, even if we do love them in that vague sense of the word, but we should nonetheless try to like everyone we come in contact with.  We must keep in mind that God made them, and therefore not only loves, but likes them every bit as much as he likes us.

Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment