Sunday, March 1, 2009

Up On The Mountain

This weekend was the long awaited, highly anticipated, Wyldlife trip to Windy Gap.  We all had a great time, and the camp is so beautiful.  I really felt like I was doing what God wanted me to.  I haven't felt that much within God's will in a long time.  I started feeling poorly though Saturday morning.  I assumed that my throat ache was just from screaming, and that my soreness had just come from the long bus ride. However, after waking up from a three hour nap on Karoline's bed, during which I could not stay warm for anything (again, I just assumed I was cold because of the mountains,) she felt my neck and said, "Girl you are sick." When I stood up I felt very dizzy and still very cold.  I went to the infirmary with Karoline and the nurse took my temperature, which registered at 102.  The nurse said we had to add a degree to that making it 103. Just lovely.

I was told it was best if I went home.  As much as I really hated to leave my girls and all the other leaders, I knew that was what I needed to do.  Fortunately for me, there was a seventh grader named Mills from Columbia who had the same symptoms, whose parents were already on their way, and they agreed to let me ride to Columbia with them and for my parents to meet us there.  This was such a blessing because it got me home about five hours earlier than if my parents had left when I called them at 4:30.  So, that was really a blessing from God.  Of course I hate that Mills was sick, but it was a blessing for me that the Carlton's were coming to get him.  They could not have been nicer people.

Despite all that, the time I did spend at Windy Gap was really incredible.  Like I said, I felt entirely within God's will.  I think it is no coincidence that we call things like that "Mountain Top Experiences."  I honestly think there is something about the mountains that helps bring us back to God.  Something about seeing the mighty things he can do.  The last time I felt that way I was in the mountains of Mandeville, Jamaica for a mission trip.  My youth minister had us right letters to ourselves at the end of the trip.  In mine I remember writing, "Though he may seem closer and bigger now, God is the same God he was before I got here to the mountains of Jamaica.  He has always been this big, and he will not be any smaller after I get home." 

I think it is sometimes harder to see how big he is at home.  It is our job to bring the "mountain top experience" home with us.  And even though they do not last forever, it is our job to remember how big God is all the time.

1 comment:

  1. Your blog is awesome, Emmy! Your a great writer :)

    Oh yeah and I hope to see you up at Windy Gap again sometime! :)

    ReplyDelete